Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What is Your Favorite "Old" Movie? Mine's an "Old" Movie of "Nick Fury"


Fourteen years after The Negotiator has been released in the big screen, I am still watching it...until now. And I watched the whole thing again just today. 

I'm thinking, what is it that make me watch this movie again and again? Maybe, I tell myself...this could be my favorite movie. Maybe just one of my two favorite "old" movies I watch over and over again. The other one, I'll tell you later.


I first watched The Negotiator in 1998, with Samuel L. Jackson (as Danny Roman) and Kevin Spacey (as Chris Sabian) playing the lead roles. I really didn't mind who the actors were--I was a kid then. Unlike now, being grown up and loving movies and tv shows, I recognized the actors. Jackson has become Nick Fury in The Avengers and other Marvel films. Spacey as Lex Luthor in Superman Returns. While Jim Brass and Dr. Al Robbins from CSI: Las Vegas and Sloan of Alias were also a part of this movie. 

I love how smartly the film's story line was created. I was hooked. I didn't know who the bad guys were. I relied to Roman's intelligent moves to find out who framed  him up. He was accused of corruption and murder, and his police friends were behind the set up. A skilled police hostage negotiator, Roman  invaded the police station his works in and took hostages in a desperate attempt to prove his innocence. Thinking that his police friends were involved, Roman opted for a negotiator outside his circle of friends to handle "his hostage event". He called Sabian, a hostage negotiator from another precinct, who he didn't know personally.

My favorite quote in the movie was what Roman said to Sabian: "When your friends betray you, sometimes the only people you can trust are strangers." Or if I rephrase it in my own words: "If you don't trust your old friends, make new friends."

After seeing the movie for the first time, I even remembered I wanted to be a negotiator someday. This negotiators were cool guys. They were trained to know people were lying. They know that you should never say "no" or "can't" or "don't" to hostage takers or the latter ends up shooting somebody from his hostages. Sadly, I didn't become a police negotiator. After seeing real hostage events happened in our country, I realized it was really a tough job--life-risking even. Hat's off to the brave, smart negotiators of our country. Anyway, even now and in the future, I still love and will continue to love this movie.

But lastly, I want to ask you: "What is your favorite "old" movie?"

And by the way, the "old" term I'm using here would be ten years ago or more.



Trailer




No comments:

Post a Comment